Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ramazaan (Pt. 2)

Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day. That means: once before the sun is up, once before noon, once midafternoon, once as the sun sets, and once before bed (around 11 p.m.).

Not all people actually participate, because if so, life would stop. But still many take the command seriously- even praying in their shop.

Ramazaan is also alot like Easter in the U.S. Everyone that once was not religious, suddenly is.

I recently decided to enter a local mosque to pray with others as they pray for God to reveal himself in this time.

I was a bit early, but I was well received. I went in with a young man that showed me how he washed before praying. He showed me how to wash my hands, face, ears, and feet.

Then when we entered to pray we waited and chatted briefly until the call to prayer was heard. Many more people showed in ascending frequency as the voice came over the loudspeaker. Suddenly everyone was thrown into a frenzy, trying to make it on time. Then the prayer starts and everyone is silent, in standing in perfect lines. (Once again I can't help but think of everyone driving like crazy people on the way to church on Sundays in our fancy clothes... we gotta make Sunday school on time!)



I decided to stand in the back and pray as they did the Namaaz (prayer ritual).

Many people would enter and tried to get me to get in line, but I smiled back and beckoned them to go and join. The closer you are to the front, the more respected you are... once again like church at home. Everyone was still quite friendly though I hung back.

As I was leaving one man greeted me and talked with me. He said his son lives in Houston. He seemed friendly and I hope to meet him again.

Another man grabbed me by the hand before I left and told me he wanted to talk to me. He asked why I was there and as I explained that I wanted to pray also, he was glad. But he wasn't convinced that a follower of Jesus would just come and visit so he asked me more questions as we sat. Then I realized that the conversation was based on the premise that I wanted to convert to Islam. I explained that this was not my intent, but that I want to befriend his people and that I want to help clear the confusion between our two groups. He told me that he studied the Quran,  and I told him that I also studied the Injeel (the New Test). I told him that we should study the old prophets together. He was not convinced that  this was necessary, but it was still a good conversation.

They are kind people and I wish to be able to have better conversations as my language increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment