Monday, August 6, 2012

A Breathe of Fresh Air - Chiang Mai, Thailand

We went for one week to Chiang Mai, Thailand...and it was such a breathe of fresh air...literally! 

Just before landing we looked at the screen showing how far we'd gone and Neal commented, "we're almost there." When I saw how far we were from America on the screen I felt a little emotional and thought we weren't close at all, but so far away. This was the first time I'd flown since arriving in India...and it felt like I should be going back home if I was flying again, but I wasn't. 

However, when we touched down and I saw the country I used to live in seven years ago my heart was so swept over with joy. Thank you Lord.

Chiang Mai is rich in beautiful greenery! The grass and trees were so lush! Everywhere you looked there was beauty. The fresh air was amazing. I felt like my lungs could actually expand completely for the first time in five and a half months. It was incredible!

Elijah was pretty sick four of the days we were in Chiang Mai. Before we left he had a cold, but he seemed to be doing better. Then the second day there he felt really hot, not just his head, but his whole body. I could tell by how clingy and emotional he was that he didn't feel good. The next day, after being up with him crying during the night and trying to bring his fever down, we called the onsite doctor. His temperature was 103.9. We tried to keep it regulated, but by the next morning his high fever was coupled with diarrhea, so we went to the hospital. His blood work came back saying he had a virus and they gave us some powder to put in his bottles to help him stay hydrated. After two more days his fever finally broke and he started acting like normal again - praise God.

I spent a lot of time sitting and reading on this porch while Elijah slept - I think the Lord used it to help my heart.


Here's pictures of the place where we stayed. It was really nice with a stream, waterfalls, ponds, lily pads, big open buildings with huge windows, a coffee shop and place where you could access wifi, and of course all the beautiful flowers, trees, and grass.  








Us in the coffee shop and Elijah making friends wherever we go!

Once Elijah started feeling better he really enjoyed playing in the grass. Even when it was raining and wet we still let him sit and play because he doesn't get to experience it often. He also met a little girl that he enjoyed playing with.





One night Neal and Elijah roasted marsh mellows. It was mostly done for the father/son experience together...not intended for Elijah to partake in the food because of all the sugar...Elijah had something else in mind. While Neal was holding the stick Elijah grabbed it and started going to town, so I had to get a video.

When I went running (Wow, I actually got to run in my running clothes, it's been so long, oh how I miss it!) along the road through the mountains I took some pictures of the great scenery. 

There were so many things about this trip that did my heart so much good. Talking to the Lord while being in nature is something I long for because it's where I feel so close to Him. I wanted to stay right there forever soaking in the beauty.






 I've always wondered what it would be like to live in one of the small mountain villages. I wonder what the people are like and the things that they do during the day. It seems like such a serene place to live. It reminds me of a Caedmon's  Call song talking about the simple life of a couple they visited in the mountains..."walking through their rose garden and praising Jesus." 

No comments:

Post a Comment