Friday, August 17, 2012

Broke....

Our Dohbi told me one day that his father had broken his leg and that he was in a fix because he had to pay the doctor bill of 5000 Rupees.

 One man's problem is another man's opportunity... so I told him we would pay it (the equivalent of around $90). He was so greatful! 

I told him that the only way I would pay it was if I could see the injury. So I went with him that night and visited his father. He was actually sitting on a cheap cot outside the shed (or house in which the whole family lived- with 3 brothers in seperate rooms and each with their 4-5 kids living with them!) in the dark, holding his leg. I told him that I wanted to help in Hindi and he was very thankful also. We planned to go and get the cast removed the next day and pay all the fees.


When I arrived the next morning, the older "Grandfather" (actually) was sitting outside again. The youngest grandson was home and he called my Dohbi to come so we could go to the hospital. When we arrived, I was in shock...

first I was shocked at the place where all the care had come from, which brings us to our next Only in India post...

No comments:

Post a Comment