Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mother's Day Weekend

Mother's Day weekend was spent in Delhi and it was a great mini vacation. Although a lot of our time was spent shopping for our new apartment, which was fun and tiring, it was still refreshing. We got to do many things that we enjoy - eat at Italian restaurants, eat at Chili's, get some great Costa coffee, hang out with friends at the mall and for a game night where we used to live, go swimming, sleep in a super comfy bed and even Elijah had his own comfy bed with a little comforter and pillow, and best of all stay in a room with AC, which delighted all of us. Elijah slept better during the weekend than he has since we've lived here. I (Kristen) was so thankful for good rest for him.

 Elijah absolutely loved sitting and playing on the bed. Whenever we'd come back to the room we'd throw him on the bed and he'd just laugh and get really excited. 


On the actual day of Mother's Day I got my nose pierced. I've noticed and been told by my Indian friends that here the way a woman signifies she is married is by her nose ring. They don't exchange rings at the ceremony, the woman just gets a stud in her nose a couple of days before the wedding. So, Neal and I decided I should show India that I'm married too. I went with two friends to a shop that does piercings and tattoos. This shop is the only one in Delhi that any of us know about that actually cleans the stub before sticking it through your nose, which is something very desirous. I was really nervous before getting it done, and the guy just laughed, then he went to work. First, the guy put a blue dot on my nose where the hole needed to go and then gave me a mirror to look and make sure that's what I wanted. Then he stuck the clean wire attached to the diamond through my nose. Next he took some needle nose pliers, stuck them up my nose to bend and cut the wire. Then he stuck his finger in there to make sure things were okay. My left eye started crying during all this (as did my friend's who also got her nose pierced), but it was over and my nose had some bling:) The pain wasn't as bad as I anticipated.


When we got back to the room there were a dozen roses waiting for me. Neal said he talked with the people at the hotel while I was in the shower and asked them to get some placed in the room. They were beautiful and it was so sweet of Neal!
 That night we went to eat with a couple friends at the Big Chill, which is an Italian restaurant. One of our guy friends always wants to hold Elijah like he's his buddy. He even fed Elijah and put him to sleep while we were eating.

Our last night we took Elijah swimming for the first time. He didn't know what to think at first. I was hoping he'd start kicking his legs, but instead he just pulled them up as high as he could. Elijah and I  pretended we were on a motor boat by making the noises together while zooming around in the hot tub, which isn't actually hot (you don't need hot in 105 degrees). 

 To end our last evening we ordered room service. Neal got a burger, which he was thrilled about (he craves burgers often) and a coke. I got a pizza, and some tiramisu with some decaf coffee...it was so good! What a great Mother's Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Mother's Day, sweet girl! I'm glad you had such a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete