Just yesterday Sha, who cleans my home, was telling me how her daughter was sick. She said she's been hurting and was so hot. They took her to the hospital and the doctor told her to only eat rice and take the medicine he was prescribing. She'd been doing that ever since. She could sleep during the day, but had trouble sleeping at night, which of course made for a tired Mama.
I told her that I wanted to pray for her daughter in the name of Jesus if that was ok. I expected that she would be fine with that, and we'd pray together after she was finished cleaning. Instead, to my surprise, she asked if I wanted her to bring her daughter to me for me to pray for her. Wow, what a great idea, why didn't I think of that!
Instead of her daughter coming here, I went with her downstairs to where she was resting. As I walked in her three boys stood up out of respect, and her daughter was starting to as well. I stopped her and told her it was okay to lay down. I told her I was there to pray for her because I wanted her to feel better. Everything I said was in Urdu, since that's all she understands, so it was somewhat broken.
I asked her where she hurt, and she pointed to and told me her head and eyes. Then I asked if I could put my hand on her head and pray for her. She was more than happy for me to do that.
After praying I stood up and one of her brothers stepped up and said his head hurts as well. I thought he was just saying that so that I'd touch him too. Really, I asked. His mom confirmed that every morning he complains about his head hurting, which I think is a sinus headache because of the weather changing and rain moving in so often. Sha had actually burned both of his temples with something hot because he'd been complaining so much. I questioned why she'd do that, but didn't get an answer except that it would help him and he'd been complaining a lot...so Indian of her.
So, I prayed for him.
As I was leaving they were all saying thank you over and over. I felt like I should give a little explanation as to Jesus and His ability to heal. So, again, with my broken Urdu, I told them that Jesus is all powerful, or that's what I wanted to say...but I didn't know the word for power so I used the only word I knew, which meant big in a strong sense...not really the same :( I continued by saying he wanted to heal people. I knew that wasn't really conveying what I was talking about and I needed something more.
Stories...there's plenty of stories that talk about Jesus healing people.
So, I told them about Jesus healing the blind man and the story of him healing the leper 2000 years ago when he walked on the earth. They listened so intently and were amazed. I went on to say that he does the same today by praying in His name.
I came back to my house filling...full, cause that's why I'm here.
I told her that I wanted to pray for her daughter in the name of Jesus if that was ok. I expected that she would be fine with that, and we'd pray together after she was finished cleaning. Instead, to my surprise, she asked if I wanted her to bring her daughter to me for me to pray for her. Wow, what a great idea, why didn't I think of that!
| Sha's daughter playing with Elise on our roof two weeks ago. |
I asked her where she hurt, and she pointed to and told me her head and eyes. Then I asked if I could put my hand on her head and pray for her. She was more than happy for me to do that.
After praying I stood up and one of her brothers stepped up and said his head hurts as well. I thought he was just saying that so that I'd touch him too. Really, I asked. His mom confirmed that every morning he complains about his head hurting, which I think is a sinus headache because of the weather changing and rain moving in so often. Sha had actually burned both of his temples with something hot because he'd been complaining so much. I questioned why she'd do that, but didn't get an answer except that it would help him and he'd been complaining a lot...so Indian of her.
So, I prayed for him.
As I was leaving they were all saying thank you over and over. I felt like I should give a little explanation as to Jesus and His ability to heal. So, again, with my broken Urdu, I told them that Jesus is all powerful, or that's what I wanted to say...but I didn't know the word for power so I used the only word I knew, which meant big in a strong sense...not really the same :( I continued by saying he wanted to heal people. I knew that wasn't really conveying what I was talking about and I needed something more.
Stories...there's plenty of stories that talk about Jesus healing people.
So, I told them about Jesus healing the blind man and the story of him healing the leper 2000 years ago when he walked on the earth. They listened so intently and were amazed. I went on to say that he does the same today by praying in His name.
I came back to my house filling...full, cause that's why I'm here.
No comments:
Post a Comment