Tuesday, July 1, 2014

First Local Friend

I'd taken Elijah and Elise to the park one late afternoon and while Elijah was playing I met a kind woman. She had two boys, the oldest nine years and the youngest three.  We talked for a while until other women and children came to get my attention. Instead of walking off or saying goodbye she just waited. Waited patiently till they were finished talking, then continued our conversation. She struck me so differently than so many others. Her patient and gentle spirit was really what drew me to her...and the kindness in her eyes, which was all I could see because she was wearing a burka. 

She invited us to her house, so, we exchanged numbers and I called her later to arrange when we could meet. I took Elijah along on the visit, knowing he could make some new friends. When we arrived on their street the oldest son took Elijah under his wing as if he was his brother. He was so excited to have him visit...he wanted to show him everything.



The oldest showed Elijah all his school work and talked to him about what he was learning. The youngest son woke up from his nap and at first was really shy around the two of us. Once he warmed up, he immediately went to get a car to show Elijah, which is of course his favorite. They played cars in the front room on the table,  then in the side room where all the extra cars were located. To my surprise they played for an hour together, and they only had one instance where they weren't sharing.


 Chai, with a snack is of course always served. What's interesting here, as opposed to Kite City, is they will put the chai in a tea pot, and use china cups and saucers. I was actually thrilled about the tea pot thing because I've always loved them. I brought my favorite white Pottery Barn tea pot from the states with us this time...always being hesitant to do so before..., but unfortunately it broke in the suitcase :( I'll have a get one from here.

The little red cup on the tray was actually for Elijah. She served the boys warm milk and some of the dessert balls in the dish. It was too cute watching them enjoy their "chai"!


Doesn't Elijah look so happy?! He was! He loved being with those two boys playing cars...and my heart was overjoyed!!!

I asked her when we could come back again to visit...her in-laws, who she lives with are very strict and won't allow her to come to my house :( She said she would be really busy till after Ramadan, and then we could return. That time seems so far away, but I'm thankful for a friend whom I enjoy being with, and friends for my son! Thank you Lord, you're good to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment