The trip back home ended up being the (re)-beginning of our outside of the states feel. We arrived at the airport and were greeted by a ginormous line.
We had unexpectedly arrived on the "Christmas Eve" of South Asia. The night would begin the biggest holiday among Hindus: "Diwali". So there was a very large crowd of people gathered at the airport.
When we finally got to the front of the line we were told that our son's ticket had not been paid for and that we needed to pay a fine. Apparently the online website company had not bought our tickets. I was not happy with that but I understood that it was not their fault. So I told them I would pay the fine.
Then the manager told me that they had no card reader and that we needed to use an ATM. I was surprised! "You mean that after all this technology and flat screens and computers here that you don't have a card reader!?" He was dead serious.
I had just used up our last Nepali rupees so I went to the ATM. I tried it and it would not work. I asked the bank representative why it didn't work and she had no reply. So again I went to the man and asked him if they could not just waive it because there was so little time. He sternly turned me away.
I was really getting fired up now. I went to a "money exchanger and asked him if they could do it and he handed me a long form to that made no sense. I wasn't about to write down my card number here. I went back to the manager and gave him a hard time... He was even rude to a single mom of 3 kids who was also running late because he wanted her to pay for bags. He made her go outside to an ATM just to pay him.
I finally told the guy he was being ridiculous and that there was no way to pay him (the guys in delhi actually let us slide). He finally sent us on. This was not a good beginning to a trip. We then went up to fill out customs forms and stand in a security line before we realized that we were able to skip the line because they were hurrying passengers for our plane ahead. All the security guards were nice and kind to us (unlike that manager).
We got on the plane and saw the most beautiful sight on the way back...
Then the manager told me that they had no card reader and that we needed to use an ATM. I was surprised! "You mean that after all this technology and flat screens and computers here that you don't have a card reader!?" He was dead serious.
I had just used up our last Nepali rupees so I went to the ATM. I tried it and it would not work. I asked the bank representative why it didn't work and she had no reply. So again I went to the man and asked him if they could not just waive it because there was so little time. He sternly turned me away.
I was really getting fired up now. I went to a "money exchanger and asked him if they could do it and he handed me a long form to that made no sense. I wasn't about to write down my card number here. I went back to the manager and gave him a hard time... He was even rude to a single mom of 3 kids who was also running late because he wanted her to pay for bags. He made her go outside to an ATM just to pay him.
I finally told the guy he was being ridiculous and that there was no way to pay him (the guys in delhi actually let us slide). He finally sent us on. This was not a good beginning to a trip. We then went up to fill out customs forms and stand in a security line before we realized that we were able to skip the line because they were hurrying passengers for our plane ahead. All the security guards were nice and kind to us (unlike that manager).
We got on the plane and saw the most beautiful sight on the way back...
Finally we made it back to Delhi.
No comments:
Post a Comment