Sunday, December 16, 2012

School for Poor Children

I (Kristen) have been going for quite a few months now to a school for poor children. When I first started going, my friend and I would meet with the lady who started the school in the back of her house. Her family used to own a brass factory on their property. The factory hasn't been running for many years, so she turned the rooms into classrooms for poor children who wouldn't otherwise get an education. Because they are poor they don't have the money for school (in India you have to pay to go to school), so she provides schooling and lunch for the children for free. It's really so neat what she does. 

My friend and I had been wanting to work with the kids, but an opportunity never presented itself. However, a few months ago I talked with 'Maam' about reading one day a week to the kids since they are teaching them English. She thought it was a wonderful idea because they would hear a native English speaker. We knew they might not understand everything I was saying because she wanted me to speak 'normal' and not like an Indian. But, with time we both thought they'd be able to understand more and more. 

So, I've been reading a story to the 5th and 6th graders every Tuesday, and doing some type of activity with them. 


 We read a story about a lighthouse and how it helps to guide boats. Afterwards they drew a lighthouse like the one in the book, but colored it whatever color they wanted. I thought they looked great!
This day I read the 'Very Hungry Caterpillar' and had them draw the lifecycle of a caterpillar to butterfly. The great thing is that they remember what they learned when they get to do an activity. 

After I work with the older students I go into the kindergarten and 1st grade class and sing a song to them in English. They are just too cute!


Here's a video of the older students singing 'This Little Light of Mine' that I taught them.







No comments:

Post a Comment