Thursday, June 26, 2014

Missing Family

One of the hardest things to "give up" is your family. I'm reminded of Jesus' words when he said, "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 10:37-39) Wow...this is deep, and cuts deep to the heart. To be worthy of Christ...what does that look like? I aspire to live a life worthy of Christ, though I feel I'll never make it. But, praise the Lord it's not by works but by God's grace through faith that we're saved!! (Eph. 2:8-9)

Prior to leaving to head back to India I walked with Elijah through my (Kristen's) parents back yard and explained that we would be saying goodbye soon. I told him how we were going back to India, which he's aware that that's where we live, and we wouldn't see Nanna, Papa, Lolly, etc, or be at Nanna's house anymore. So, we were gonna have to say goodbye to all these things/people. I walked around to some of the places he loved in the yard and said goodbye within his hearing. Not that he understood all of it, but he's very aware of what goodbye means because he's had to do it so often in his short lifetime :(

I didn't know how much of our talk actually sunk in until I overheard him talking to my mom at the airport. I couldn't keep the tears from stinking my eyes when I heard Elijah say, "I not go to your house no more Nanna."

Hugging everyone, watching their reactions and faces, and waving as we walked beyond the elevator doors...not to see them for another two years unless they make the long flight...it hurts. It's never easy,  I never have a dry face, my breathing is always hard cause I'm trying to choke back the emotion. This, again, is no doubt the hardest part of this life.

Then when we arrive life gets busy. We were getting to know our new team - new 'family', getting to know our city, seeing news things, eating new foods. Many new and exciting, and sometimes challenging things. Glimpses of missing family here and there, but your mind is mostly filled with what's in front of you. However, this is not the case for Elijah.

Everyday Elijah's gotten involved with whatever is at hand. While we were staying at our team leaders house he enjoyed playing with their kids, their toys, going to the local park, the mall, etc. Since we've been in our home he enjoys playing with his toys, riding the scooter, playing on our roof, going to the local park, visiting new friends, etc. But, everyday, no lie, Everyday, he talks about his cousins.

While we were in America he got to know his four boy cousins on my side really well. Though he loves all of them, and was thrilled whenever any of them were around, he became especially attached to Jonas, who's six. So, since coming here, although he said goodbye to them, he asks about them or says something he wants to share with them everyday. Here's some examples: He says he wants Jonas to come stay on "that bed", pointing to his bed. He would ask if Jonas, Evan, Micah, and Aden could go to the park with him. He told me to put Jonas' name on the wall after I hung his name. He points out of the living room window and says he wants to go see them at "that house", again pointing. He asks why he can't see them and when I explain that they live in America and we live in India he says, "why they go ore there to Merica?" (as if they're the ones who moved to some crazy place:) He often grabs a toy and tells me he wants to play with it with Jonas. Some days he just says things and is fine, and other days he gets a little emotional.

Here's some pictures of Elijah with his "friends" (cousins) that he "left":






All the boys wearing their Duck Dynasty tshirts
Neal and I have been praying for some good friends for Elijah and Elise. Right now, friends are such an important thing in Elijah's life and he longs for them. He's always asking, "where my friends?" whenever we leave someones house we've been visiting. Lord, bless him in this area with precious boys who come to seek You as we're praying Elijah does.



Here's some pictures of Elijah with the beginnings of his new friendships:
To the right is our team leaders two oldest, Sean who's four, and Katie who's two. Bottom left is a local family I met who's oldest is nine and youngest is three. The bottom right is one of my best friends little girl who's two.



1 comment:

  1. Love you so! Praying with you for good friendships for our babies!

    ReplyDelete