Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Market

Most of our shopping is done at a market right down the street from where we live. It's really nice to be able to get all your everyday necessities within walking distance. Although this market is not the biggest or best, it still has so much to offer.

This was our first day and first purchase in the market - corn flake cereal, which is one of the only India priced cereals and not imported priced, and diapers, which are a must. I was very excited to see some Pampers diapers!
This first day in the market was actually very emotional for me. It was my first full day in India, and therefore my first day out. The air seemed so dense with pollution and the roads filled with dust, trash, rubble, poop, and everything that is was a sensory overload. Also, Elijah was coughing so bad (he'd been coughing with his cold, but it just seemed worse), especially when we went into the produce section of the market because it has the strongest smell. His eyes were also bloodshot and watering to the point where tears were running down his face. My mother's heart wanted to weep and I said to myself, "why did I bring him here?" I just prayed so much for God to guard his little respiratory system.

The next day, however, I went back to the market with two of my friends while Neal stayed home with Elijah. The Lord graciously gave me a new perspective while I was walking. The air didn't seem as terrible and although the roads were the same, it wasn't as bad to me (Kristen) as it was the day before. The Lord just quietly spoke to my heart and let me know that He's just as much in control, just as much a protector, just as much a loving father who cares for His children in India as He does in America, and I had no need to fear even such things as Elijah's respiratory system being junked up. 
What a precious God I serve! Thank you Lord!

The picture on the left is the first look at the market when you come around the corner from the road we live on. As you can see, vehicles, people riding and pushing bikes, and people walking are all together on every road. I love all the different colors of fabric that you can buy and have made into whatever you want. They're all so bright! I learned yesterday that certain colors are for winter and certain ones for summer, much like in the states. I haven't had anything made yet, but I'm sure I will sometime soon.

There's my two new friends. The girl on the far left is the wife of the couple we live with during language school. The girl in the middle lives across the street and knew our roommates. She and her husband have two kids, and the youngest is the one she's carrying.
 Welcome to the produce part of our market! It's awesome how many fresh foods you can buy! I've learned how to clean and prepare the food so that it's safe for us to eat and not get sick. Therefore, most of the produce sold is okay for us to buy.



Later in the week Neal, Elijah, and I went to get some bread from our new favorite bread shop (also one of the only shops that sells bread:)
Everyone Loves to see and touch Elijah! They always come over to us and talk to the baby and stroke his little cheek and hold his hands. He's a great way to meet people!

No comments:

Post a Comment