Sunday, August 7, 2011

Baptism and Lordship

Today was a special day. I have been following Christ for almost 12 years. I prayed to receive Jesus as savior and was baptized like many people at  a young age, I was around 9 years old. Wait that doesn't add up to 26 years does it? From there I fell into a lot of trouble from middle school all the way into the beginning of high school (just ask my parents). I was living for me and trying to impress others with my sin. Anytime I did follow the wrong crowd I always realized in my heart that it was wrong. I could even feel the Spirit swaying me to stay out of trouble and resist the temptation to sin. I even read the Bible often at this age, but I was just so easily influenced by others instead of strong. But as far as I knew, there was no alternative and it seemed to feel good momentarily. Then a friend invited me to Asbury and through the youth ministry I began to see others that were serious about their faith and were my age.Next I was mentored by men who showed me how to walk with God more closely and I experienced worship in a new way. But after all this time, I have always harbored doubts of my earlier commitment to Christ...

I doubted my faith many times in my life, because I did not walk with God closely after I was saved. I wanted Jesus to save me, but it took a few years to see what it was that He saved me for: Lordship. So many times I would hear pastors say that baptism is our response to the gospel and I would cringe because there was such uncertainty in my life after I prayed to receive Jesus. It had a lot to do with my lack of good fruit. But today I know that I follow Christ and that left me always wondering if I needed to be baptized once more. I know that baptism doesn't save you, but I wanted to know that my life with Jesus reflected true discipleship and obedience. So that is what I heard God asking of me today when I decided to go through with water baptism... obedience.

I told Kristen after the service that I wanted to be baptized to declare my obedience to the Lordship of Christ and to doing God's will. She said that it seemed that God must have wanted it from me and so we went out to the river baptism for the church. It was kind of impromptu and many might not understand this, but it was not for anyone else to understand, it was just for me to declare that I am following Jesus. I have felt God tugging me to do this for years now, and this was an act of obedience. If you have gotten to know me over the years, you would know that I am somewhat of a procrastinator and I really try to think things through before I make a decision. Well I have waited too long with this and I feel that it is necessary for me as I follow Christ. As we approached the river I saw a snake slither across the ground, and I remembered us talking about spiritual warfare today in Sunday School and I felt like this was part of me resisting the devil and his temptation to reject the Spirit of God. I also felt this was part of my act of declaring that I do not care what men think (although I am constantly tempted to), I must follow Christ above all else. As Christians, as followers of Jesus, we should never reject when the Spirit leads, but follow our Lord with true obedience no matter what the cost.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart Neal! Can't wait to see pics of that baby! It must be out by now?!

    ReplyDelete