Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cothran Family Vacation and Kristen's Birthday

The Cothran family vacation had to take place earlier this year because of Elijah's possible birthday. We aren't sure the exact day he will arrive, although August 27th is predicted, but I sure didn't want to be away from my doctor and hospital any time close to that date. So, my parents booked the condo in July.

We always get a family picture made on the beach with white shirts and khaki shorts.
However, I don't have any khaki shorts that fit correctly, so I'm wearing my white pants:)

 
I love this picture of Neal and I. My brother rented one of those round white things that the flash reflects off of in order to get good lighting, and that's what he used with this picture. It made a difference. The picture on the right is all the boys - Cothran's + Bond. All the little boys belong to my brother Daniel (the guy on the left).


Since we went to the beach in July the only week we could get the rooms were over the July 4th holiday, which is of course my, Kristen's, birthday.


I requested that we continue the usual tradition of grilling out, eating chocolate trifle (which has been the desert of choice the last few years), and strawberry ice cream. We also got some mint chocolate chip ice cream because it's one of my favorites as well.






We got to see an awesome firework show from the balcony of the condo. It was really long and one of the best I've seen, although the show my brothers usually put on at my parents house sure rivals the one at the beach. This picture shows the end of the show.
  I love this picture with my nephew Jonas (3 years old). He always wants to help everyone - cute!

The morning of my birthday there was a sandcastle competition. There were four different categories that they were judging on in order to win - 1) Best in show, which is the best of all, 2) Most patriotic, 3) Best sandcastle, and 4) Most unique. My sister Lauren loves these kind of competitions so she registered us. We decided to do Mount Rushmore and most everyone pitched in to help. 



Although my brothers could get the mount, observatory, and mote built they weren't so good at the actual details for the faces. We aren't as artistic as Neal's side of the family. So, we sent for Neal. My brother Joel is holding the picture up on his iPhone while Neal looks at it and carves the faces with the stick of the American flag.






Here is Neal beside the final product of the faces on the mountain. I think he did a great job!



1 comment:

  1. I just found this link on Heidi's blog & had no idea you had a blog! I'm definitely going to be checking it a lot now to keep up with you guys before you join us in india soon. you are SUCH an adorable pregnant women & I love little Elijah's name. His middle name is awesome. we miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete