So moving from our flat was a VERY, VERY, VERY hectic time.
Things were happened so fast and our move date coming so soon that there
was little time for reflection... so we will do so today!
The first thing we did was begin arranging all the small things into areas
and piles and boxes.
Then we found someone via our driver to agree to send a truck to our
new city, Garden City.
We then found a warehouse guy who was fine with receiving the items
and storing them for us until we would return.
Next we received a large amount of bubble wrap and began wrapping the
breakable items,
It was a lot of bubble wrap, however we now know that for some
items, still not enough on the treacherous 2 week descent on
India's broken highways and roads.
Not many days before we were to pack and leave, I went on
a "business" trip. Needless to say I lost my ATM card!
This would prove problematic in paying the driver and helping friends
before we left. Also Kristen had to go away with her card,
so I was borrowing from some good Expat friends.
Kristen and the kids got in the car 1 day early and said their
goodbyes. It was somewhat difficult, but our gatekeeper still
wanted to make Elijah laugh.
Then it was off to the races, we had way too much work and
so little time!
Not to add we were finalizing the process of getting my scooter
registration, which in India can mean long office visits. (more posts to come).
These are just a few of the friends that stopped by and put in
the hard work, even as we were leaving them!
So the items were taped and wrapped, some with other
knick-nacs inside them.
All of our dishes and kitchen items were carefully placed,
but as we were loosing time, later dumped into bags!
This is what they shipped all the items on... the man would sleep on top.
I'm just joking! That would take months or even years to reach here! HA!
Secretly I stashed all of our electronics into the fridge
for protection from the ride and also to keep off poachers...
this is India man.
No that is not going to fit! Turn it sideways!
Some of our loose ends... Wow!
Is there anything they cannot fit on top of their heads!?
What will that look like when I open it?
All the items on the ground floor of the garage ready to load.
However we keep finding things to move and it is 11 pm when we
are almost done!
The truck arrives that night... it had to maneuver the tiny streets of
our town, and they cannot enter until the 11pm hour has come
because the traffic is so thick here!
Then when he got here a loud ruckus broke out...
the driver had clipped a low hanging line, and was expected to replace it!
(only in India would that fly), hello, it is your fault landowner!
After much bantering and discussion it was decided that the owner of
the vehicle (our mover) was to pay the sum replacing it.
He then tried to involve me, which I eluded for some time by the protection of
my friends.
As the loading begins I am wondering if it will all fit,
and if I will ever see it all again!
They loaded it up to the top, 26 long x 10 feet high of open truck with a tarp over it.
Everyone congregated to the garage and said their goodbyes.
I had about 8 friends at different times work long hours for 3 or so days to get it all done.
They all stayed to wish us well.
What a blessing they were in the midst of all the chaos.
We were finally finished and on our way!



No comments:
Post a Comment