Wednesday, October 16, 2013

That Time of Year Again, Bukra Eid

It's that time of year again, Bukra Eid.  

I always enjoy the weeks leading up to this holiday. Most streets I travel on in the city have little herds of bukra (goat) prancing around with their shepherds. (These bukra, in the photos, were walking right down from my house.) 

Often times you see them grazing in the little patches of grass to get them nice fat and healthy to sale. They're ripe for the pickin once Bukra Eid comes around.


Some sights were 'crazy' when I first arrived, such as these herds, but now they're just normal cause it's home. One sight that still makes Neal and I laugh, although it's no longer 'odd' is seeing a man holding a bukra on a rickshaw or motorcycle and driving it home. There's no way I'd pick up a live goat and carry it in my arms on the back of a motorcycle...but that's what they do. They're taking it to join their family...for a short while. 

The bukra then lives with the family, literally lives with them inside their house. The kids, and even grown men will take their bukra out on the leash for a walk. They nurture and love it just like we would a dog back in America. But then the day of Bukra Eid comes...

As I sat on my porch this morning of Bukra Eid reading the story of Abraham and the promise God made with him, "...through you all nations will be blessed." Then I read where he was told to take his son Isaac on the mountain to sacrifice him, and how God provided another sacrifice...such a beautiful foreshadowing story of Christ! I knew this story was the very reason for Bukra Eid. This was the reason all the bukras were sold. This was the reason I could hear in the distance the moaning of some bukra. It's all to remember. Remember God providing so that Abraham didn't have to give his own son. 

Listening to the sounds of the sweet little bukra, that even I have come to love, made my heart so sad. It saddened me to know that the animal those kids across the street had walked just the day before was going to be slaughtered today. But then I thought how precious the words of the promise of God though, "...through you all nations will be blessed." The innocent bukra being led to the slaughter...but then my mind turns to Jesus Christ who himself was as a lamb led to the slaughter. To know that God provided another sacrifice for Abraham, but not for Himself...WOW. Speechlessness. It's through that sacrifice, the sacrifice of God's personal son, Jesus, that all nations, including the nation of India, is and will be blessed. Oh yes Lord, I ask you to bring the blessing of Jesus here!

I'm thankful for these holidays. I'm thankful for times to remember the precious gift we've been given through Christ. I'm thankful for salvation, and to know that salvation will be brought to India...it's been promised!

No comments:

Post a Comment