There are plenty of dangers in driving here, although
honestly there seem to be much fewer wrecks than the states.
I think that this is because it is much easier to navigate motorcycles
and bicycles than cars. These two wheelers seem to be able to stop or
move just at the nick of time.
However, accidents do happen...
In one day I saw 2 wrecks while on the road.
This one involved a car swerving into the same turn as the motorcycle.
It is common for people on motorcycles to go too fast and then assume
that the road is theirs... not slowing down for cars, they should "always" make
room right? Not so.
What was sad was that guy on the bike had a small kid that was crying.
They all seemed fine but a crowd was brewing and the guy on the bike tried to
fight the car owner.
He was explaining the scene to someone. I needed to go.
The next wreck was not as fresh, but more startling...
A crowd had gathered to see the carnage. Then I realized what I was seeing...
A car had swerved and struck a bicycle rickshaw... sending them both into the ditch.
This was right in front of a guy's hostel at the university. The rickshaw driver was taken to
the hospital with quite serious injuries while the car driver was fine. Everyone was trying to
figure out how to get the vehicles out of the ditch.
This is the problem of the crowding here: car meets pedestrian/ bicycle/ motorcycle...
who do you think will win?
I don't know how to improve the safety here, but I think the roads getting smoothed up may help. The lack of planning for these highly populated roads has really caused many of the problems.
That is the situation, no one really has any good answers for these permanent problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment