Saturday, January 5, 2013

Our Christmas with Indian Friends

Neal and I decided that we wanted to give to many of our friends who are in need here for Christmas. They all know that we are Christians and celebrate Christmas, which is not something they are used to at all. So, we wanted to do something special to celebrate with them and give. 

In the states a family that's poor would normally still have some type of inside home where they live and a coat for the cold weather. Here, however, those things aren't the norm. The weather has turned really cold, which I'm loving, but many poor families still live outside with maybe just a roof over their head. Or, if they have a one room home it doesn't always have glass in the windows or electricity. Also, having a coat is almost a luxury because, again, this is something many poorer families cannot afford. Therefore, it made perfect sense to buy things like coats and heaters, etc. for our friends who needed them. 

We bought 20 coats (and we're still buying some for people), four heaters, two pairs of shoes, four pairs of socks, three sweaters, four blankets, five toys for the little girls, eight toys for the little boys, some stickers (for the family with a lot more kids than we knew to count), and a lot of fruit for baskets. 

Neal and I invited seven different families to come to our house at different times from the 23rd to the 25th. I served them Christmas cookies and hot chocolate so that they could share in some traditional Christmas things from America. Then Neal shared the Christmas story from the visit of Gabriel to the shepherds coming to see Jesus, God's son, once he was born. After the story we gave everyone their Christmas presents and explained why we give because of God giving Jesus to us.

Here's a picture of each family/person who came to our house.

This is our gatekeepers family. They are always so kind to us and everyone who lives in our building. We have a great relationship with them - the kids come up to play with Elijah often, and even help me cook. 


This is our dobhi - the man who cleans and irons our clothes. Time is always something he and his family are very short of because they work tons of hours for the little pay they receive to provide for their family. He is such a gentle man and Neal and I are very thankful for his friendship. His family is very large (the kids we bought stickers for because there's so many of them) and God's given us many opportunities to bless them.

Out of all the people we gave to this was my favorite! This is the language helper Neal and I share for an hour each morning. He's a sweet guy, but he doesn't smile much because he's really serious, and he doesn't always know how to respond to people. However, while he ate Christmas cookies, drank hot chocolate, and then played Bananagrams with us his countenance changed somewhat into relaxation.  

Then when we gave him his coat he was so surprised and couldn't wipe the smile off his face - he was so thankful! I'd asked him earlier if he had a coat because I knew he had to be cold since he's so little. He remembered that and made a comment about how I asked him and remembered. 

I love this with his hand on his head in astonishment and thankfulness. I won't ever forget his face at that moment!

This is our landlord and his family. Their kids as well love to come play with Elijah.



This is my cleaner's three boys. They of course loved playing in the house (we don't let them run around and play while their mom is cleaning). However, most of all they loved the hot chocolate! Each of the boys wouldn't put the little chai mug down until it was all gone.   

My sweet cleaner and I have a great relationship! I love spending time talking with her and since she doesn't know English it's great being forced to use the little language I have. Neal I help her with things she needs all the time because she's poor and a widow, however, she's always so grateful.


This is our driver and his two youngest boys. He's always patient with us, which we are very grateful for since we tend to run late:) His boys sometimes ride with their dad when he takes us to Delhi, and they're so sweet and quiet.


This is Neal's other language helper. He's such a fun loving guy who's always making jokes and smiling at everything. Neal hangs out with him more than anyone else here...it helps that he's a single guy...but he really enjoys his company. He feels so much like a part of our family that when he's around I can totally be myself and don't have to feel obligated to do certain cultural things. (He also ate Christmas dinner with us)

God was really gracious to us in providing for us in order for us to provide for others. When the Christmas season started it was hard to be away from America, but once our attentions turned to what we were going to do for others my heart was fully here and excited that God had me in India for the season. Of course I missed my family, but I didn't have the tears and longing that was their when the season started.

Thank you God...may you always use us as Your vessel to bless others.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! So inspiring. I love that you got pictures, so I can see the precious people in your life.

    you almost out of hot chocolate?

    ReplyDelete