It was a wild one... It seems like every year this holiday turns out to be more eventful than the last. I think next year there will have to be fireworks and appearances by Bollywood stars to outdo this year.
Of course it is a holiday, and it is supposed to be a comfortable experience, but the past two tries I have either gotten sick from viewing blood or been apprehended by the police... yes I said apprehended by the police. That story is coming now...
For those who don't already know, Bukra Eid (or Goat Eid) is a holiday that all Muslims celebrate in remembrance of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son (Gen. 22). On this day many discussions take place about God's mercy and Abraham's righteousness. The slaughter is followed by a feast of tasty goat's meat.
So we have a good friend who is an excellent photographer. We both planned to go and take photos of the special morning prayer for Bukra Eid. Last year I was late and missed the event. This year we were right on time. We got some great photos of the men all dressed in white, preparing for the great slaughter. We were asked by the police to take photos on the far side of the mosque so we kindly moved and snapped these photos...
Of course it is a holiday, and it is supposed to be a comfortable experience, but the past two tries I have either gotten sick from viewing blood or been apprehended by the police... yes I said apprehended by the police. That story is coming now...
For those who don't already know, Bukra Eid (or Goat Eid) is a holiday that all Muslims celebrate in remembrance of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son (Gen. 22). On this day many discussions take place about God's mercy and Abraham's righteousness. The slaughter is followed by a feast of tasty goat's meat.
So we have a good friend who is an excellent photographer. We both planned to go and take photos of the special morning prayer for Bukra Eid. Last year I was late and missed the event. This year we were right on time. We got some great photos of the men all dressed in white, preparing for the great slaughter. We were asked by the police to take photos on the far side of the mosque so we kindly moved and snapped these photos...
This shows some of the men sitting waiting for the namaz (prayer)
and listening to the sermon.
My Bukra Eid "beard". Ha!
The many devoted sitting patiently in perfect lines.
This photo is so compelling. Prayers are offered with hands opened because God
is a God that gives generously.
When the prayers were finished we were greeted by a host of the faithful wanting to
shake hands and gave us warm greetings. It was really sweet. Everyone was so happy.
It was like they (the minority of this country) were finally getting their story told.
Everyone was asking where I was from and what channel they could watch the documentary...
I didn't have the heart to tell them that I wasn't a professional photojournalist.
We were even invited to go and meet the head of the Mosque and he gave us
the full story of Abraham's sacrifice. It was a good event.
Then as we left, I was feeling pressure suddenly from a policeman to come and show our
passport and papers. I clearly told them earlier that I didn't have them.
I told him that it was no problem and we began to leave. Then suddenly I hear them yelling
at me. I turn around for a moment and then suddenly I am being lead by my arm toward the compound.
We stop at the entrance and I kindly ask what the problem is.
Then I'm asked to present our passports again. I calmly explained that they were at home and
inquired what was the purpose of this investigation. I tried to walk away again and then I am essentially
drug back to the compound entrance. There was no good reason for any of this. I could sense some jealously and hopelessness to the situation. "What? Why is this happening?" I asked.
By this time a crowd had formed. "We want to see your papers."
"I already told you that our papers are at home and that is all!"
"No you must always have your passport on you" he replied.
I then asked him, "Do all the foreign college students that live here always have their
passports on them when they leave the house?"
The obvious answer was no, but that wasn't enough. I tried to walk away a 3rd time, and this time
one of the guards put his arms around me so that I could not move.
I was shocked that this was actually happening, to an American guest.
"Fine, I'll come." I was really disgusted that this guy was treating me this way.
It was like they knew that the holiday feast would begin soon and that I wanted to go.
But they persisted. "Please I just want to go to be with my friends!"
To make a long story short, we were taken into an office and offered tea (supposedly
to calm us down, but we all knew that they were delaying).
They then asked if I had registered, to which I replied yes.
Then they asked who was the man with which I filed.
"Hold on, I'll find him". This took a while because I couldn't remember his name.
Finally after a voice raising discussion they asked who my friend was and if he could come.
I called him and to my comfort he came with 2 family members.
It was real comforting to see my friends come and vouch for me in the face of
strong opposition. It really affirmed our friendship to me.
Finally the Foreign Registration officer came and gave the papers for me and we were out
of there (2 hours later).
These are the faces of the men who inquired:
I sense that I was in the middle of a struggle bigger than me.
After escaping (with my life), I hurried out... feeling both gladness of my escape and anger
over the injustice that I was shoved into.
By now I was sure I had missed the sacrifice, but I was shocked to find
that the whole family had held off to wait for me to arrive.
Some of the guys in the family as well as some neighbors... everyone loves a good bloody show. :|
There were 6 kills all in a row. Just what you want to see after a stressful situation !
(I laughed and told them that I felt like I had escaped a slaughter at the station.)
But the laughter and invitation, friendship in the room helped calm me down.
This is my friend's brother. We had very good conversations together.
I then got a call from the registration worker wanting to meet me at my home.
I obliged after some time and then returned to my friend's house late in the afternoon.
This was the second year in a row that I actually missed out on the fresh meat only to
eat goat liver because I was late! Blah!
The next day we visited another friend as a family.
Our friend's brother and kids.
They wear eye makeup to cover them from the "evil eye".
It is a folk belief about others having envy and gaining what you have.
Here is the guys eating and enjoying cake.
Not a bad spread. The chocolate treat was tasty.
Elijah playing outside with the kids after eating the meal.
Overall we were really struck by opposition early that tried to ruin the holiday,
but we still were able to have a good time and connect with friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment